Monday, January 03, 2005

Diary Entry 01-03-05

Here it is, a new year, a new work week, a ton of new ideas, and half-written scripts to fish through and compose for a new project (thatwill hopefully grab some more attention from those that actually give a crap about the rising Indie-film resurgeance). A good friend of mine had a rather long winded conversation over beers about how 2005 needed to be the year of the Bevan. I don't think that's in the Chinese calendar but maybe it should be... Imagine a guy with a pork pie hat, a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, and a glass of single malt scotch on your buffet place mat. It could work, right?
The aforementioned conversation was taken with a grain of salt (or perhapsan entire cardboard cylinder of Morton's). I would love for all of these hopes and dreams to come full-circle and jump-start a career in film. I would love to start working full-time on these things that I love so much. I guess we'll have to wait and see... but most of all I'm going to have to bust my ass to make this thing happen. Half of everything is luck. However, you've got to work twice as hard to get the first gram of luck flowing. Nothing is given away for free. You've got to be a charismatic mo-fo to get things going your way. Talent, on the other hand, is not always a prerequisite. I've got quite a bit of talent, know how, and a lot of fantastic people behind me. Luck is something I've got to figure out how to bottle and save for a rainy day.
So, I'm still working on scripts with people. I'm still trying to figure out which direction to go with... and we've got to figure out the points of a winning script. I've gotten some great words of advice from Craig Brewer. I'll take those notes to heart and mind. Getting a good script is one of the most important matters at hand. We can find great actors. There is a fair amount of untapped talent in the area. So, don't be disappointed if one project gets done before the other. Also, don't feel disheartened if we choose your project and change a fair amount of it. Some things have to be changed to make the film better. It's not to say that I know more than you or anyone else. It's just what will work the best. Hell, the film Chinatown had a lot of things changed within the script while shooting. The ending, for example, was not the original ending (and foranyone who has not seen the film I highly recommend going out to rent or buy the film-- It's a masterpiece!)
I've got to quit smoking. Yes, I know, It's a nasty habit that I've been sucking into my lungs for far too long. Yes, yes, it's hip and I love smoking. I'll miss it. I must also note that I absolutely hate the patch, the gum, the lozenges. All of the preventative measures are slightly more disgusting than the actual habit. Although I would like to have my teeth a little brighter without spending $400 on laser scraping (which takes off a layer of your enamel).
We're still waiting to hear from various festivals to see whether we're in the festival line-up or not. San Fran should let us know around the 12th ofJan. The other festivals will be some time in Feb. or later on in the coming months.
We should also be revamping the RustedSunFilms.com website. There will be some more organizing, some new looks, etc. etc. Hopefully, we will work all of the kinks out before too long (which means that Anthony and I will beseeing a lot more of each other after the work day).
I want to wish you all a Happy New Year. 2005 should bring wonderful things. Hell, 2004 was pretty F-ing good to us.
-B

1 Comments:

Blogger Kait Nolan said...

The Year of Bevan. Hmmm, has a ring to it. May your dreams come to pass. You deserve it.

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home