Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Return of the Sequels

I admit, I get pulled into this insane amount of tabloid crap printed by the American Press. They talk about films, celebrities... anything to get the attention and money of the people they can trick into reading a paragraph about absolutely nothing. Realize this: It's all rumour.
We know that there are a fair amount of sequels coming to the big screen this year. Some of them I've seen (and so far, most of them fail to live up to the glory of the original-- such is the way of sequels). Then we must think about who the people are that greenlight these films with the hopes of making a few more dollars off of the fools.
Okay, I will go see the latest (and last) installment of the Star Wars franchise. If they made another Die Hard, I would go see it too. Whenever they get around to making another Spiderman or X-Men movie, I'll pay to go see that. The Bourne Identity, Supremecy, Infinity... Indiana Jones... Mission Impossible... I'll most likely go see those sequels/prequels as well. Producers are banking on the idea that if people have seen the other films of a particular franchise that they will pay theater money to go see another shoddy story.
On that note, I didn't go see Terminator 3. I didn't go see Blade Trinity. I barely got talked into watching Meet the Fockers. There was no F-ing way that I was going to pay money to see Alien Vs. Predator (even though there was a cute blond girl in it). There are a slew of terrible additions to formerly great films that are being propositioned and made every single day (not to mention that they make bad sequels to movies that shouldn't have been made in the first place.-- Did you know that they made a film adaptation of Where the Red Fern Grows?-- How can you make a movie about a F#<+ing Racoon stuck in a tree and the idiot kid who stays night after night trying to chop down a tree?)
What got me all riled up this morning was hearing that Sly Stallone is in talks to make Rambo IV. That's right folks, I shit you not... Rambo IV. Shall we be introduced to John Rambo's long lost brother, Don Rambo (played by the capable Frank Stallone)? Has Colonel Trotter managed to get his ass in a sling yet again? Would we really care that Rambo is now 60 and in a Federal Prison again? Maybe he's got to hook up with Snake Pliskin to have a cage match Vs. the A-TEAM. Seriously... these are the things that people write scripts about. The sad part is... I'll probably take a Saturday matinee and watch the damn thing.
Why can't someone get Bill Murray to make Ghostbusters 3? Wes Anderson could direct...
-B

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too right!
I will return to the conversation of the Batman franchise. So far Keaton played the best Bruce Wayne. And Burtin directed the best movies. Thanks to Shumacker the franchise went to shit and the characters became increasingly gay. The Indy franchise is begining to scare me I don't even know if Ford will be alive to make the next one. I've also read remarks on imdb of ignorant drones saying tom cruise would make a good Dr. Jones. Upon reading these remarks I really knew that the film world was going strait to hell. Evidently people want to see an overacting short pansy who can't seem to change his accent or get off of the same character. Although I will probably go see the new installment of the Indy franchise no matter who plays the nazi fighting good doc, I'm sure I will regret it.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home