Monday, January 16, 2006

weekend nineteen: the subtle re-shoot and not so subtle change of appearance

I think that it's quite obvious that there will be no more re-shoots after this weekend. We (meaning Rusted Sun Films in general) rarely re-shoot anything. Under normal affairs we will go through production takes until we get what is needed (or what may seem reasonably close to what we had originally envisioned) and most of the time... we do takes until everyone is happy with the Audio, Video, and Performance. Thankfully we capture a myriad of various angles and compositions to deal with any changes in continuity and/or dilemma that might come up in editing.
As we drove along through the rough-cut editing process (yes, I edit as I shoot so that I won't take another couple of months editing this film on 'spare time') we found a little problem with the top section of "THE DATE NIGHT SCENE." As far as the previous shoots for this scene, we've had to deal with sodium lighting color correction, squeezing in shoots with actors that were moving out of town, availability of The Peanut Shoppe, frigid wind gusts that cut to the bone, and emergency work trips out of town. It's actually quite fortunate that we had gotten this far without predicament. However, there was an issue with sound during the earlier production. A small electric hum emanating from the overhead lights seemed to cross into the dialogue to a point of irritation... an aggravation that simply would not migrate until we re-shot the scene.
So, we took forty-five minutes of a Friday evening to re-shoot a bit of dialogue. All in all, I think that the re-shot material will end up better than the original takes. That should be taken to heart simply because we owe it to everyone involved in this film to put out the best product that we possibly can (while shooting for free on weekends). I love making films. Which is why I have done, quite possibly, the stupidest alteration of coiffure. Saturday... high noon... the standoff between black shock and concetrated bleach took place. Only one came out standing... standing as blond as bleach blond could be. I bleached my hair. No, I didn't do the eyebrows.
The change is due to the last few scenes of Divine Manipulation of the Threads in which my character will drastically change his appearance. I've got to practice delivering my monologue in either a British accent (cockney or semi-proper), Scottish (ala Sean Connery), or something equally off-set to confuse our audience for a moment. Afterall, when you steal $70 million from a bank... you probably want to look a little different at the end of the day... then get the hell out of the country. So... until Saturday I'll be dealing with the asinine remarks of my co-workers, friends, family, and film cohorts (and probably after Saturday... or at least until my hair grows out).
Oh, I also joined the rest of the world and bought a personal cell phone. Apparently it's a necessity of survival... and it plays music, takes pictures, and can download television clips (a service that I will soon be taking off of the bill because, really... that's just ridiculous). So, for those of you that need the new number... you should probably ask me. I won't have a land line after this evening. I'm all mobile and sheeeeit...

HERE ARE YOUR THREADS FOR THE WEEK:

ANTHONY: "We've seen that face before"
JEN: "It's been a looooong time."
(referring to her "OHH" face).

BEVAN: "You have to point it there... 'Cause that's where the action is..."
(referring to taking the microphone and pointing it at his crotch)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess the movie:

Dear Guy Pearce,

I am one of your biggest fan. Please, write this down, less you forget.....

Teddy

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home