Friday, August 26, 2005

it was cold and it rained so I felt like an actor...


I truly think that everyone should own The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie. It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of Bowie's body of work but there are some personal favorites from the collection. This album might be the most recognizable sound for the general public... but for those that gain a fair amount of pleasure from actually listening to Albums, Ziggy Stardust is a fantastic pinnacle piece of the collection. The side one/track one title is Five Years. If the album starts off like that follows through a magnificent work of art... hits a smooth apex with Lady Stardust and concludes with Rock & Roll Suicide and you enjoy each and every swell of sound then you can imagine the connections that an individual can make with the joy of a single song... which brings me to the point I've been desperately trying to get to.
Music makes a movie. There are certain emotional strings that are pulled when the guy races against time and all odds to hold his big 1980s "boom box" high above his head and play "In Your Eyes" to Fraiser's sister (you do know that was Fraiser's dad in that film right?). It's cheesy... but it works... and from that point on John Cusack was the only man that women were looking for. Unless you wore a trenchcoat and liked Peter Gabriel, you were screwed.
If I had money to put forth in our current film adventure,
d i v i n e m a n i p u l a t i o n o f t h e t h r e a d s,
I would more than likely spend the vast majority of such said funds on purchasing the rights to music for use in the film. For those that have bore witness to my personal music collection, you might imagine that I have a few ideas on what to use in any situation. With the addition to Satellite Radio, I've been thrust into a new realm of musical tastes and knowledge. I could make a movie soundtrack with artists that no one has ever heard of... sparking an interest in independent labels, independent movies, and emotional connections to music and artists that had been lost in the fray.
All artists want to share a gift with those that care to take it in as art. As John Cusack would further his career through "rom-coms" he would take on a character that knew about the subtle art of making a mix tape... and what is a movie soundtrack more than a well thought out mix tape?
Anyway, someday I would like the freedom to be able to take on such a daunting task. Until then, I'll have to score the film with beats, drones, and jazz influenced experiments. In the meantime, I'll keep purchasing albums and waiting to use Bob Dylan's "All the Tired Horses" in my "barhopping script" opening sequence. Stay tuned, this weekend is another Saturday full of filming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home