Thursday, August 11, 2005

you know it's hard out here to be a pimp...



I can't tell you how many times I've been standing on a sidewalk, getting out of my car, or just walking across the street and been bombarded with the license plate rattling bass lines from the Hustle and Flow Soundtrack. The entire city (including rednecks in pickup trucks) has been taken over by the friendly local aura of this "thug life" flow. I'm just blown away. Now, I'm sure it's happening all over the place but Memphis doesn't really do the iPod thing... we prefer to roll through town with our windows down (in 110 degree heat mind you) so that we can share all of our current musical tastes with the good hearted pedestrians of the city. It doesn't matter if you're at work or at home... we'll find you and make sure you can hear "Whoop that Trick" for the fourth time today. I'm not mad or even disturbed... I truly find the cross-over fascinating. I might have to go out and get some "Gol-teef."
Now, on that note... I'm "tied-as-hell," meaning that I've had about 45mins of sleep within the last two days. The day job has magically turned into a day-overnight-evening kind of gig. There isn't any big breaking news to share, I just happen to be the photographer living near the general area of Orange Mound homicides. I think that would make a great CSI series.... CSI: Orange Mound (starring Sam L. Jackson, Gary Oldman, and Eight Ball). I still think that hiring Ashton Kutcher to make Knight Rider into a movie would be a fantastic money making idea too. Aren't any of you MTV music video directors up to task?
I'm very excited to see that F.F. Coppola is finally going to do something with the rights to Jack Kerouac's novel, "On the Road." I have to find a way to get involved with this film. It has been a dream of mine to make a Kerouac book into a film. However, "On the Road" has been in pre-production hell for around 40 years. On the other hand, I would cherish turning Kerouac's novel, "Big Sur" into a motion picture. Maybe by the time I can get those wheels in motion (I'm very serious about this) I'll be old enough to play 'ol Jack's role. I could probably pull it off now but I've got to work on my slurred Lowell, Massachusetts accent.
We'll be filming on Divine Manipulation of the Threads again this weekend. I should go rather smoothly. I was quite surprised about how well the last shoots went. We never really had much time to rehearse them (actually we didn't rehearse at all) but everything went smoothly. I was pleased as punch and I'm sure that the saccharine sweet smile stretched from cheek to cheek will continue on through the weekend. Now, I've got to go screw up the NEWS.

-B

1 Comments:

Blogger Sminklemeyer said...

you have to see the movie. it's really good. i was a photographer in iraq. check out the site if you want... desert-smink.blogspot.com. seems like you're a jack of all trades. good luck to you... "you know it's hard out here as a pimp."

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home