Friday, January 28, 2005

And the Oscar goes to... who cares?

What's the worst time of year for an independent film maker? That's right, Oscar season. You cannot help but be slammed in the face with all of the picturesque celebrity magazines about who is up for what and why you should give a crap. I didn't want to know who was up for best actor or best film. I didn't care. I didn't care about any of those movies that have been given the "Academy Nod" for high regard in artistry. The most button pressing films of the year were overlooked and shunned in more ways than one. I keep hearing all of this buzz surrounding Million Dollar Baby. The only reason I'm even interested in watching this film now, is that it's not playing in Memphis. I think it opens today (Friday). I'm still not sure if I'm going to rush right out to see it. I haven't seen The Aviator. I'm hearing mixed reviews that 'ol Scorsese just didn't pull it off. He needs to cut out this love affair with Leonardo DiCaprio and get back to making films like Ragging Bull. Marty, those are the films that made us love you. The sad part is that he'll probably get the damn award because The Lord of the Rings has been kicking everyone's ass for years.
I'm not bitter because I'm not part of the gang. I'm angry because Hollywood keeps greenlighting these awful films... then giving these schleps Academy Awards for them. What next? Do we start giving Oscars to remakes of old films? Why don't we just have Tom Hanks vote for each and every award after an all night drunk? And did these people even watch these f-ing films this year?
I say we take all of the kings of Hollywood and knock their thrones out from under them. They've gotten lazy and far too greedy. This isn't a popularity contest. This is about vision, art, and the people that fight against the establishment that Hollywood has become. I'm sorry, to admit it... but I have to side with Mel Gibson on this one. At least he had the balls to throw himself into something he believed in... See Marty... violence sells. Even with hardchore Christians. I wonder if it would have been different if Jesus were named Mad Max.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my head is going to exploded from all this shit!!!
You are Plank JR.!

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Lord of the Rings has been kicking everyone's ass for years.
Why did you have to curse? What would Jesus say?

7:37 PM  
Blogger Kait Nolan said...

Should I actually know who or what Plank JR is?

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home