Friday, February 18, 2005

dreaming of the dream job...

The nine to five is not for me. Ever since I was eight years of age, I knew that I wanted to make movies. I knew that I wanted to act. I knew that I wanted to continue this little fabricated world of make-believe on into the majestic sunset of HBO supported daydreams. I'm still working on making that boyhood dream a reality (if it ever may come to pass).
Unfortunately, like most of the rest of the "real people" on this Earth, I have to brunt and bash through a Monday to Friday monotonous wreck. I struggle with my bills. I have to tell my friends that I can't go out because I'm broke. I have holes in my clothes because I have to pay my light bill instead of going to the gap for the newest fad. If I wear a nice button up shirt every once and a while, odds are I bought it at a thrift store.
As Cheech and Chong would say, "It's tough all over." It is. The other cohorts on this little film making adventure work in a factory and work as a repair-all/carry-all for an apartment complex. I might have the most glamorous job of the bunch... The people that I act with work as construction supervisors, carpet cleaners, desk-jockeys, bar tenders, flight attendants. We all work the day jobs and at the end of the day the real world is still just as real as when we woke up in the morning.
The dream, however, is waking up to make movies. I would love to have the time, money, and freedom to schedule and create films for a living. I want to know that someone has made sure that all of the gear and actors are going to be on location... and that's their job. I want to know that even though there may be problems with lighting or sound, that there's going to be one or more people on the set or on the way to take care of the problem. And I'll be waiting comfortably for the solution...
I don't mind the stress of deadlines. I can deal with one or two deadlines a year. Right now, I have make it or break it deadlines every day... sometimes twice a day. I'm pretty sure that I could pull a few "all-nighters" to make sure we get the film to print on time. Yeah, I'm okay with that.
I had a lot of fun making my first feature film. I'm having a small bit of fun writing the next script. I'm even having fun reading and helping people tweak other scripts. The real fun happens when you get to create the movie... then show the finished product... then win someone's heart and mind with this grand mess you've created. Instead, for the time being I've got Television News. Hopefully someday the light at the end of the tunnel will be enough to catch a sunburn. Can't that be Monday? Dream... dream, dream, dream....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home