Monday, April 04, 2005

sending the horse to pasture...

When we premiered A Cowboy's Silver Lining, I received two bottles of celebratory champagne. The carmelized bubbly version of wine is not my favorite concoction in the world but it does do it's job fine. The fizz hits the nose and leaves an interesting taste in your palette long enough to serve as a decent memorial to what ever one decides to celebrate. I kept one of the bottles for another day... just sometime down the road I knew that I would like to celebrate another portion of history with this film. I had hoped that it would have been used for winning a festival prize or something of the sort. Perhaps I should have saved it a little longer.
This weekend I drank the other bottle in celebration to a friend of mine working a hard three years in corporate America so that he would one day have the independence to break away and go the route on his own. After three years, he had done just that. He's a little ahead of me on the curve. I make independent films. He is now independent of his boss. Champagne was in order.
Another champagne toast came to mind. After I throw away money trying to get A Cowboy's Silver Lining into two more festivals by the end of the year, I'm putting the project to rest. The decision was a hard one. It's kind of like a parent having to let go of their child as they march off to college... or having to put the family dog to sleep. I've got to put this horse out to pasture and let it mow the fields for a while. I've had doubts about the film. People assure me that it's a great film. Perhaps one day we can call it back in from the fields and see if it wants to race again. However, I'm starting to feel that it's time to let it go.
Here's the reason. I'm ready to start on the next film. We've got to focus strongly on the current piece of work. I've got to give this thing all of our love and attention to detail. The film we will be working on this year, could very well be the winner we wanted from "Cowboy." I don't know... I realize that it's hopeful thinking. Perhaps... perhaps... perhaps. Anyway, back to the day job. I've got to make some money to buy crap for the next film. Anyone know any investors? That would help.
-B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home