Thursday, April 14, 2005

somewhere in Memphis there is still great music...

For those of you that don't know, I subscribe to XM Satellite Radio. I initially got the gear as a birthday present (On a side note, I'm turning 28 on Saturday April 16th. I think that Christine has some kind of party planned but she won't tell me. I guess I'll find out soon enough). Okay, last night I was listening to station 43, which is as close to a college radio station as one could find on XM. I miss really good college radio stations. They get all of the indie label tunes for free basically and broadcast them to the kids that actually give a shit about music. I'm also a huge proponent of indie music as I am equally a building and budding force in indie film (ha ha ha ha, one day, I've only got one feature film under my belt afterall). Memphis doesn't have a college radio station. They have a station located or affiliated with the U of M somehow... but it's a smooth jazz station... so it doesn't count... and Kenny G sucks.
Getting to the point, I heard this great strange music on channel 43 last night. It sounded familiar. Something ate away at the back of my brain. Had I heard this tune before? I looked on the radio and the name struck me, THE COACH AND FOUR. The Coach and Four is a local Memphis band which I have seen many a time. Remember when Hurricane Elvis knocked out power to the entire city? Well, on a Friday (or Saturday) they strung powercords from various Cooper/Young buildings and had a free show for all of the Midtown Scenesters that needed their guitar fix (but I'm sure they had a gig to play anyway and didn't have anything else to do that night-- nevertheless, it was one of the highlights of that nightmarish 13days without airconditioning). They are by far my favorite local band. To put it mildly, they are amazingly talented... and they're about the only local band that I will follow where ever they may play. I used to be in a band, (the short-lived) DEAD CITY RADIO, so I know that there are a lot of crappy bands here in Memphis... but I'll stop sucking their ass for a minute and get back to the whole point of the story).
So, let's re-capI love this band. I caught them on satellite radio. I was really excited that these guys were getting this kind of world wide coverage. Then it dawned on me.... they have an album out? What? When did this happen? My favorite local band came out with an album and I some how got lost in the mix and didn't know about it? WTF?
The first thing I did was roll over to Cat's Records on Union. They carry local albums. Guess what? It costs $10. Are you kidding me? What have I done right? Ten dollars for a CD? That's impossible. It's still in the cellophane wrapping and everything. How can they get away with selling these for ONLY ten dollars? Oh yeah, that's what makes Indie Labels kick mucho ass... they don't need to charge $18.00 for shitty music. They charge $10.00 for good music. How did the world get so backwards? Oh yeah, there's that thing where music executives need to have three Mercedes and a house in the Hamptons. I believe that's a prerequisite to sleeping around having to give your wife half of everything. What happened to the days where it was about the music? What happened to the love? Damn boy bands, they ruined everything.
Anyway, I wanted to share my excitement with anyone that actually gave a crap. You can swing by Cat's music or go here: www.makeshiftmusic.com They have a list of releases and a way to order them. If Brad or any of the guys are planning on playing out again anytime soon, please feel free to let me know. I really miss The Coach and Four. Not to mention that I might have the last bit of video from before they tore down the sign and the hotel. I used to pass it everyday on my way home from work. I don't know what it would take to use their music in a film... hint, hint. Anyone?
-B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home