Thursday, May 05, 2005

too much to take or is the plate too small?

I've often wondered how these "actors" and "film makers" get all of their shit together so that they can complete more than one film during a year. Now, directors usually only take on one film a year. It's a long and difficult process. Actors have it easier. A lot of times they'll take on more than one project at a time... or be signed up to start work on films one right after the other. I think that some actors are quite fortunate to land so many roles within a short period of time. It gets their name and face out there to all of the right people in one fell swoop so that at some point further down this long and winding road called life they might actually be able to step back and take a break from the pursuit of money and madness... maybe take a vacation or spend some time with the significant other that stuck with them through all of those long nights and weeks spent "filming." (try getting all of that in one breath)
Long story short, "it ain't easy." There is a great amount of time and energy burned trying to get any project completed. Here's the current rundown of how the rest of the year looks.
1. I'm acting in a film for a director I've worked with before. It should be fun and hopefully will be filmed rather quickly. I'll know Saturday when I read the script. (payment deferral)
2. I'm holding auditions for the next Rusted Sun Films project on Saturday May 21st. I'm thinking that we'll take it somewhere around 9am to 12pm. It will take some time to get the rest of the pre-production going before we start filming. (payment deferral)
3. I've taken on another lead role for a film maker that is making a film in town, Of Saints and Sinners. It's a smart move and I'm looking forward to meeting and working with new people. I have no idea how long it will take to film. (payment deferral)
4. I work a full-time job at a news station that doesn't exactly like the idea of me making movies, acting in movies, and doesn't have a flexible schedule what-so-ever.
5. I have to pay the bills.

Okay, that's 3 feature films that are going to start within the next couple of weeks and months. Have I bitten off too much to chew? Yeah, probably. But I don't think that I would have if these gigs actually had some money behind them. Having a full time job takes a lot of time. It takes up a lot of energy... and the business I work in can drive a Bible-beater to curse and kill in red-eyed rage. So, the plate is a little small. I've only got so much time to work with... and I'm going to be exhausted. I just hope that it all pays off somewhere down the road.
People say that we work hard so that we can enjoy life later. Well, I'm tired of busting my ass and not getting anywhere. I think that there are a lot of people like that. There are also 5 percent of the actors and film makers in the world actually getting paid and making a decent living off of this business. They bust their ass too... they just get paid a few million dollars to do it. It would take me about 3 years of 60hour work weeks to make just a little over $100,000.
This is the hope that all of my hard work of acting and making films for free, on my spare time, on weekends, losing sleep, losing sanity, and doing it for the love of film... doing it for the hopes that one day it will pay off and make something better of my life will finally happen sometime. You don't get things for free. You don't get anything without hard work.
I'll give it a shot. I'll bust my ass to all points of exhaustion... all for the love of film.
When it rains it pours, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home